UTF-8 http://vanvlietart.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Friday, September 08, 2006

Today's Painting, "Young Woman Study" by Gordon van Vliet

Shown is an oil study 16"W x 20"H that I worked on recently.

My emphasis on this piece was to get the posture of the body to relax in the seat. I think the posture is pretty good. There is a real sense of how her abdomen rests.

The right arm(viewer look left) was repainted two or three times to correct fore- shortening issues. Even though it appears that way in life, I will change it and increase the girth of her upper arm there. It will be a better image that way.

Then this one will get set aside.

I hate to overwork a painting. If I do not like how it is progressing, often I get to a point of just starting over. I like the process best when it flows smoothly from the beginning.

Tomorrow I will post a small 4x6 inch painting of a small boy. Til then, enjoy.

Labels:

Link

4 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger mick mcginty said...

Gordon,

I like it alot. I think the person you painted is very individual and cannot be anyone but the person you painted. I especially like the way you captured her gaze. It says so much. The structure is excellent...don't sweat the outer elements when you nail the focal point. Leaving them in even a less rendered state would only make her head and shoulders more powerful. I'm like you tho...if its in the composition, I have to paint it. Nice Job!

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Thanks Mick. Good advice.
Another reader sent me this comment:
""Young Woman Study" looks cool, like she has an attitude, perhaps she is
wishing to be somewhere else. Have you told her she is pretty lately?"
The answer is yes, yes, yes.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Sue Foss said...

Gordon,

I really like the way her eyes are looking off into the distance, and I think the arm is just fine. I often have up to eight paintings going at a time in my studio, and it makes it easier to set one aside and not overwork it, it also helps me to keep up a flow between the works. Happy painting!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Jon Conkey said...

I have learned way more from botched work than any successful ones. My best pieces (the ones everybody else likes) were some of my most ruined ones. JLC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
  • Free Search Engine Submission
    Free Search Engine Submission
  • Arts blogs
  • Rochester Real Estate Agent - Information about homes for sale and real estate communities.
  • Official PayPal Seal