UTF-8 http://vanvlietart.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Today's Painting, "Reflecting" by Gordon van Vliet

Here is the 2nd oil painting of the day at Pultneyville Marina. I call it "Reflecting". This one took about 1-1/2 hours and I chose a simple composition so I could get it finished. To the right you see the subject I was painting.

I am intrigued with painting water and reflection so that aspect drew me to this subject. I liked the way the boat hull reflected in the water and the water in the hull. This was interesting to do without a photograph, as the image in my view changed constantly, with wind, boat wake, cloud and sun altering the surface and the light.

Sometime I would enjoy working from a photo reference to paint both, static images which would appear abstract and moving images to catch the life in the situation.

I also want to study painting multiple scenes within a scene. The water, the image reflected in the surface, the water reflected in an adjoining surface, the fish swimming in the water and the surface at the bottom. These types of paintings I find very interesting.

During the GVPAP events of the day we voted for the 4 best images of the morning and also the afternoon. I was quite shocked that my fellow artists choose this as one of the four best in the afternoon. I think they liked the composition and that is what I like best about it as well.

Tomorrow I will post a study I did while at Hillside Inn about a week ago.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger Dale Goorskey said...

I found this painting quite soothing .Thanks for posting it.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger rob ijbema said...

i like the unusual composition
and especially the loose approach!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Todd said...

nice one Gordon, and congrats on being in the top four !!!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Thank you for your comments. This community of artists has really helped me to enjoy the painting process. As you three know I appreciate your art as well. Keep up the good work.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger ming said...

there's a malaysian artist who paints only reflections on water..
very similar to this piece..and sells them for like RM40 000 a pop!

10 000USD!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Ming please send me a link to this artists work. It would be fun and informative to look at. Thank you for the comment. I have several people subscribed from that part of the world. It is exciting.

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Jeffrey Hayes said...

Hi Gordon,

I would echo Rob's comment that this has a nice and unusual composition. The cropping really highlights the abstract qualities of the shapes, which is also what reflections in water tend to do. Good show!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
  • Free Search Engine Submission
    Free Search Engine Submission
  • Arts blogs
  • Rochester Real Estate Agent - Information about homes for sale and real estate communities.
  • Official PayPal Seal