UTF-8 http://vanvlietart.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Today's Painting, "Mary Waves Goodbye" Gordon van Vliet

Today's Painting, "Mary Waves Goodbye", by Gordon van Vliet is 9-5/8"W x 9-1/8"H oil on board. This was painted at the Corn Hill Landing in downtown Rochester, New York. The Mary Jamison is just leaving and waving her flag "goodbye".

The Genesee River seen here flows north, through the City of Rochester, over one of the largest water falls of any city worldwide. This is the reason Rochester grew in the early 1800's along with the Erie Canal project. Water power for milling and transportation for commerce. This area provides local artists with excellent reference material for lots of paintings.

I painted on Wednesday during a GVPAP event. This groups paints "en plein air". As it happens we received some welcome publicity. Please go to GVPAP for more information about it. Scroll down the first page a little bit to find the information about this and other past events. They have some nice pictures also. Can you find me?

Also in such a short time I have noticed that 29 countries have viewed this blog. Where do they all come from? To see the latest statistics view this link at Extreme Tracking. Thanks for all your support in making this blog a success and spreading the word to your friends.

Last night I went boating on Lake Ontario with some dear friends instead of painting. The stars last night surely inspired this artist. More paintings will come soon.

Just and added note from our friends who invited us boating last night.

"Hi Gordon,
Thanks so much for coming and buying us dinner and all the snacks plus
dessert! It was so great to spend some time with you guys.We can just be
ourselves with you.
I am a huge fan of your work. I think you are really good and I'm not
just saying that to be nice, I mean it.
We will have to get out again some night in September, (with our
sweaters!) and watch the sun set.
Take care,"
name kept private

Thank you for the wonderful night also and your encouraging words.

Labels:

Link

5 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Joyce said...

Gordon, I am curious to know who inspires you as a painter?

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Hi Joyce, thanks for the question.

Regarding painting I admire the great illustration period of the last century and study them all. They were masters in bringing an image to life. Fine artists such as Sorolla and Sargent are excellent. I constantly read art magazines and biographies. Always finding something by an artist that helps me continue.]

Regarding philosophical underpinnings come from Ayn Rand and her idea that art could show how man could and ought to be. Kind of instructive of the potential man. Later, when I am satisfied that I can accomplish the pieces that I imagine I will begin to create them. In the meantime I paint essentially studies, i.e. a landscape, a figure, a portrait, a simple still life, etc. To me parts of a greater illustrative work in the future.

I hope this in part answers your question. Feel free to ask more.

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gordon! Wow! Mary waves goodbye is BEAUTIFUL!!! Grandpa showed me today. :-D Quite a proud grandfather we have here. :-D

Mary Beth

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Glad to see the folks in Georgia are enjoying my little adventure. Thanks for comment. Say hi to Grandpa.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Very Interesting! The water looks so real! Great work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
  • Free Search Engine Submission
    Free Search Engine Submission
  • Arts blogs
  • Rochester Real Estate Agent - Information about homes for sale and real estate communities.
  • Official PayPal Seal