UTF-8 http://vanvlietart.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Friday, August 11, 2006

Today's Painting, "Repose No. 2" Gordon van Vliet

Today's painting was begun on Wednesday night and the model is the daughter of another model that is often my subject. The story is she is awaken from deep sleep by her admirer bearing a gift of a white rose and she is about to deliver her reponse. What will it be?

This pose is intriguing, but still in the rough sketch stage. The main anatomical feature to adjust is her left arm where the forearm appears too long. Her face is rendered well and only needs minor refinement. The hair on the left forehead will come forward a bit.

I believe I will darken dramatically the background both above the model and below the fabric. The highlight on the fabric needs a value lower than on the model.
All the value need adjustment up and down to give depth.

This piece is oil on 16 x 20 stretched canvas.

Later today or tomorrow I will post a nice landscape painted at Gibson's Landing at Keuka Lake, New York. Come back soon folks and tell your friends. I really have appreciated all the encouragement via email and the comments. Thank you very much.

Labels:

Link

7 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Takeyce said...

Very nice, Gordon. You can really see the sleepiness in her eyes. Well done.

Takeyce

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Peter Yesis said...

I really like the composition on this one. Reminds me of Degas. Can't wait to see the finnished piece.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I like this one alot. It's really good!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger amber said...

I like this one a lot very nice!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Thanks all, this one is also one of my favorites. I will post the work finished when its done.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Ed Terpening said...

Nice composition, Gordon. I think you're right about darkening the bottom of the piece. There's a great book on composition by Edgar Payne that has lots of great examples of compositions that work. He's a landscape artist, but his rules of composition can be applied with any subject. Another great painter I've studied with (Ted Georschner) also darkens the bottom half of a painting, to lead the eye in. In fact, he helped me edit the painting at the URL below. The rocks used to be much lighter.

http://www.edterpening.com/images/art/1246-Bean-Hollow-Golden-Light-MED.jpg

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Thank you Ed for the helpful comments. Edgar Payne's work has always impressed me and now I will read his book. Your work definately shows strength and I can see how this technique or its reverse (center dark value) has helped in accomplishing that strength. Please add your comments anytime you can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
  • Free Search Engine Submission
    Free Search Engine Submission
  • Arts blogs
  • Rochester Real Estate Agent - Information about homes for sale and real estate communities.
  • Official PayPal Seal