UTF-8 http://vanvlietart.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Wave Study One

Here is a study I did last Sunday morning near the Coast Guard station at Charlotte Harbor. Beautiful clear crisp morning with much brilliance on the water. I had to squint just to keep looking at it.

Of coarse painting moving waves is a big challenge and the reason for this study. I need to look at the wave for awhile and think about what color and position was the darkest shadow, reflected light, highlight, etc.

The splash over the rock is never the same twice. Even in the 1 or 2 seconds that the rock is visible it changes dramatically. The green plant algae goes from a wet sheen to a flat sheen in less than a second.





Here is a photo of the site and conditions to give you an idea of what I am up against when I paint this way.

Josi Etter painted with me on this morning. She paints fish because of her love of that subject. She and her husband are avid in their pursuit of the elusive trout by fly fishing. Sketch and Release is her web-site and you may find it interesting.




Josi also is currently exhibiting and interesting portrait of a modern Madonna at the Memorial Art Gallery. The show is called 2007 Rochester-Finger Lakes Exhibition. She calls it "Die Gedanken Sind Freiā€¦" or in English, Thoughts Are Free.

On June 24, 2007 the Rochester D & C newspaper suggested the following regarding Josi's work, "Perhaps the most striking fusion of past and present can be see in Rochester painter Josi Etter's Die Gedanken...."

It is a pleasure to paint with Josi whenever the opportunity arises. Congratulations on your acceptance to this show in order to display your fine work!

I leave you with this quote from A River Runs Through It, by Norman Maclean.
"My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - came by grace; and grace comes by art; and art does not come easy."
Josi and I both know... Art never comes easy!

Labels: ,

Link

7 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful wave study!

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Gordon --

The wave study was impressive! That has got to be one of the more
difficult subjects to capture well. J.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gordon,
You nailed this wave...great job!!
Mike

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger V....Vaughan said...

Your wave study is GREAT!!!! You nailed the feel of "wet".
And,I want to THANK YOU for your kind comment about my work...I hope you will keep looking in to my vvaughan.blogspot.com

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Rhonda Hurwitz said...

this is wonderful...I can't imagine how you painted something that is constantly moving but you got it just right

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger "van Vliet" Art Blog said...

Thank you for the compliment Rhonda,

I agree it turned out well. I was kinda of surprised when I looked at the photo comparison that the colors were so true. It is quite a challenge to capture the essence of the wave action. I just watch it for a while to get a feeling of how the waves are working in general and then paint. A good study.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Eston said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
  • Free Search Engine Submission
    Free Search Engine Submission
  • Arts blogs
  • Rochester Real Estate Agent - Information about homes for sale and real estate communities.
  • Official PayPal Seal