UTF-8 http://vanvlietart.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Alone At Turning Point, by Gordon van Vliet

Have you ever been at a crossroads in your life? Did you have a big decision to make?

At time like these sometimes we need solitude... a place alone to ponder the possibilities.. to sort things out. I know I enjoy the time alone. It helps to clarify and identify what needs to be done. When I have come to a resolution, then I can move on. Refreshed.

So here I have presented a small painting. About 8" x 6" and paint at what is locally called Turning Point Park on the lower Genesee River. See Map to Turning Point Park for directions. Here is a wide area where cement barges came up the river to unload their wares and then turn around.

Today there is a wonderful paved walk that eventually will connect downtown Rochester to the port at Charlotte. If you live in the area you owe it to yourself to visit. Bring some problems. You may be amazed that they disappear!
I also painted this evening with Todd Ryan (his work is in the center) and Enrique (work on right). Not shown is a charcoal sketch by Bing. He is new and joining our little art group. I will have more on him as I learn more.

Labels: ,

Link

5 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Blogger Stephen Magsig said...

Beautiful work Gordon,I really like the mutted but rich color. Wires remind me of Rackstraw Downes.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Stephen Magsig said...

Sorry about the misspelling.

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger ming said...

must be great to have somewhere to take your problems to...

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. I've been there.

Becoming an artist this is exactly what I'd do at the end of a hard week of painting, reading books on anatomy, sketching from my skeleton and on and on. I'd go fishing. It made me ponder on the week's work and where to go the next week and beyond.

Beautiful painting. Your thoughts on it seem so appropriate.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY nice compliments from that web site!! Good going. I also like seeing when my "work" is appreciated on other sites. I really like your "Alone At Turning Point". It reminds of the style of Ed Hopper, who is one of my favorite painters. RM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker
  • Free Search Engine Submission
    Free Search Engine Submission
  • Arts blogs
  • Rochester Real Estate Agent - Information about homes for sale and real estate communities.
  • Official PayPal Seal